Sign up to Coursera courses for free
This Specialization is aimed at preparing students for undergraduate study in an English-speaking university. The course equips you for full participation and engagement with your studies by building awareness and understanding of the core values and expectations of academic culture, and providing you with practical strategies to apply to your studies. In this course, you will learn how to develop your Information & Digital Literacy Skills to help you achieve success in your university studies. After completing this course, you will be able to:
1. Access and search for information efficiently and effectively using a variety of digital tools.
2. Critically evaluate the reliability of sources for an academic context.
3. Filter, manage and organize information from a wide variety of sources for use in academic study.
4. Demonstrate awareness of ethical issues related to academic integrity surrounding the access and use of information.
5. Understand how to use digital tools for referencing and attribution in order to avoid plagiarism.
6. Understand how to disseminate and communicate information in a professional way, including managing digital identity and building networks for learning and research.
Introduction to Information & Digital Literacy at University
After this module you will be able to (1). Understand the structure and expectations of the course (2). Understand expectations about information and digital literacy within academic culture (3). Articulate the skills & dispositions needed to function effectively in the digital space (4). Demonstrate awareness of ethical issues related to academic integrity surrounding the access and use of information
Defining, Accessing & Searching for Information
After this module you will be able to (1). Define the characteristics of different kinds of information (2). Know where to look for information from various sources (3). Develop a search strategy and filter large numbers of search results effectively (4). Document and evaluate your search strategy
Critically Evaluating, Filtering & Managing Information
After this module you will be able to (1). Apply criteria to critically evaluate the reliability of sources for an academic context (2). Identify the factors that make a web resource reliable (3). Filter information effectively (4). Use file-naming conventions and appropriate software to effectively organize and store information
Referencing, Incorporating Sources & Avoiding Plagiarism
After this module you will be able to (1). Understand the consequences of plagiarism in the academic context (2). Use referencing conventions to appropriately cite a variety of information sources and avoid plagiarism (3). Understand how to incorportate ideas from sources into your work (4). Be familiar with different referencing software and evaluate it for your own purposes
Disseminating & Communicating Information
After this module you will be able to (1). Understand new forms of licensing for online content (2). Communicate effectively in different digital modes (3). Manage digital identity across different domains (4). Use digital networks to manage and advance learning