This course gives you immediate access to the world leading sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) practices. Scandinavian firms dominate the major sustainability and CSR performance indicators including the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI). In this course we explore the concepts of sustainability and CSR and focus attention on how Scandinavian firms, like Novo Nordisk, have achieved superior sustainability and CSR performances. We consider what lessons can be drawn by managers and firms irrespective of where they may be located in the world.
Through this course, participants will:
• Gain appreciation of the concepts of sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR) and be able to situate these concepts within the broader debates about the role of business in society
• Understand the sustainability and CSR approaches by leading Scandinavian companies
• Describe how partnerships between companies, NGOs, and government are fundamental to the sustainability and CSR by Scandinavian companies
• Be able to describe the characterization of the “Scandinavian management” and the role Scandinavian management plays in sustainability and CSR approaches by Scandinavian firms
• Become familiarized with concept of “Scandinavian Cooperative Advantage” and understand how it challenges the dominant view of strategic management.
Introduction to Sustainability & Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
Scandinavia: An Introduction
Scandinavian Leadership & Management
Case study of a Scandinavian sustainability leader: Novo Nordisk
Scandinavian Corporate Governance
Course reflections: On Becoming a Sustainable Viking
MOOCs stand for Massive Open Online Courses. These arefree online courses from universities around the world (eg. StanfordHarvardMIT) offered to anyone with an internet connection.
How do I register?
To register for a course, click on "Go to Class" button on the course page. This will take you to the providers website where you can register for the course.
How do these MOOCs or free online courses work?
MOOCs are designed for an online audience, teaching primarily through short (5-20 min.) pre recorded video lectures, that you watch on weekly schedule when convenient for you. They also have student discussion forums, homework/assignments, and online quizzes or exams.