Get started writing Python with this introductory course.
Why Take This Course? Python is one of the most popular languages today, used for a wide range of fields, from web programming, to data science, to robotics. With a strong foundation in Python programming, you'll have a good start in any of these career paths.
### Numbers and Strings
* Learn about Python's numeric and string data types
* Use variables to store data
* Use built-in functions and methods
### Functions, Installation, and Conditionals
* Install Python on your computer
* Organize your code into functions
* Use conditionals to make decisions
### Data Structures and Loops
* Use collection data types: lists, sets, and dictionaries
* Write `for` and `while` loops to express repetition
* Practice refactoring and problem solving
### Files and Modules
* Use modules from the Python standard library and from third-party libraries
* Read data from files on disk
* Use online resources to help solve problems.
### Wikipedia Web Crawl Case Study
* Apply the skills you've learned in this course to explore real-world data from the web
* Write a web crawler that follows links between Wikipedia articles
MOOCs stand for Massive Open Online Courses. These arefree online courses from universities around the world (eg. StanfordHarvardMIT) offered to anyone with an internet connection.
How do I register?
To register for a course, click on "Go to Class" button on the course page. This will take you to the providers website where you can register for the course.
How do these MOOCs or free online courses work?
MOOCs are designed for an online audience, teaching primarily through short (5-20 min.) pre recorded video lectures, that you watch on weekly schedule when convenient for you. They also have student discussion forums, homework/assignments, and online quizzes or exams.